Monday, September 30, 2013

Year 2 - Letter 18 - Baton Rouge, LA

Mosiah 2:17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

Hey Everyone! 

This letter is going to be really short, because we had to go translate for Blas.  He has an infection from his Maxillofacial surgery, so I just got on the computer.
  
Well, things are great!  We visited the Wilkerson's twice this week.  One for Joanna, who will be baptized soon, and once to talk to them about General Conference and invite them.  They came to church this week, so things are looking good!

David is doing well, but his dad is not exactly supportive.  He said he would give him a ride this week, and David said he would come, but he wasn't there.  We still need to go see him and figure out just what happened.

I had the biggest cockroach crawl on my leg yesterday!  It was barely smaller than a stick of butter, and freaked me out.  We caught it and let it go far from our home.

We saw one of our less actives, Jose Perez, yesterday, and invited him to conference!  That was cool!  I have only seen him twice in my entire time here in Baton Rouge.

Cool thing I read in the scriptures this week:  In Alma 11:22 or so, Zeezrom offers Amulek 6 Onties.  I did the math and that equates to about 42 days salary for a judge.  If that judge worked 10 hour days and was payed 15 dollars an hour, like Bany (whom we saw and shared this) that would equate to about 6,300 dollars!  All to deny God.  That is a lot!  What I love is Amulek's response: 
23 Now Amulek said: O thou child of hell, why tempt ye me? Knowest thou that the righteous yieldeth to no such temptations?
24 Believest thou that there is no God? I say unto you, Nay, thou knowest that there is a God, but thou lovest that lucre more than him.
What really stuck me was "thou lovest that lucre more than him."  What do we put before God?  What can we all change?  Something to think about.
  
To continue the example with money, in Malachi 3:8-10, we are promised much for paying tithing:
8 ¶Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
 9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
 10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

I know that if we will put God first in everything, we will receive the blessings!  I love you all!  take care!

Love,
Elder Scott Turner Andrews 

No comments:

Post a Comment