Monday, April 7, 2014

Year 2 - Letter 45 - Baton Rouge, LA

1 Cor 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

Hey Everyone!  

What an incredible general conference!  I got so much out of it!  It is quite hard to really choose a favorite from all of the messages.  I felt that all of the speakers were so inspired.  Here on the mission, I have learned to always go to meetings with a question in mind.  My main question was what do I need to do in this last bit of my mission, and as a go home, how do I keep what I have learned.

I did love President Uchtdorf's talk on Sunday Morning about gratitude, and how "In His plan there are no true endings, only everlasting beginnings."  (thanks Hill for sending those quotes) That quote in particular really stuck out to me.  Eventually, I will go home.  I will be released as a Full Time Missionary.  That is inevitable.  However, I will always be a missionary.  I will always have the lessons that I have learned.  I will be true to who I am becoming.  I also loved Elder Ballard's talk on missionary work and follow up!  Follow up is SO crucial in everything we do.  I have really been thinking on how we can better follow up with investigators, other missionaries, and even myself.  I can't wait to go back and study all of the amazing talks that were given!  What a blessing it is to have prophets and leaders called of God!

Well, the rest of the week was awesome!  We went on exchanges.  Elder McMurray was here with me and Elder Glauser went to be with Elder McCutcheon.  Elder McMurray is awesome. Originally from Mexico, he is now from Utah.  We went to see a few people that he knew from a prior exchange that we have been trying to find, but hadn't been able to see.  One of those was Carmen and Arnold.  They have been busy lately, but they let us in, which was cool!  We just talked with them about life, to see where they are at.  Carmen is going to join amway, which is interesting.  A lot of people in our area are affiliated with Amway.  I don't know how they sale much with everyone being a vendor.  Ah well.  Anyways, they are doing well.  I hope we will be able to get in since Elder McMurray is no longer here in Baton Rouge south.  We also went to see Lauriano.  He is as sweet as ever.  We have been using a lot of videos with him lately.  He can't read well, so it really helps him to understand what we are saying and reading in the scriptures. He LOVES the Bible videos.  We tried to get him to conference, but he wasn't able to make it. After conference yesterday, we went to see him, and we talked about the restoration.  It was awesome!  We testified of the truthfulness of the message, and we gave him an assignment to watch "The Restoration" and pray to know if it is true.  I know that the spirit is guiding Elder Glauser and I so much with Lauriano, because it has been hard in the past to really get Lauriano involved in the lesson without him being able to read on his own.  

Well, we are going to have to be a bit more patient with David.  We know that he will some day be baptized, but April 12 isn't the right date for him.  We haven't been able to really talk to him for awhile now, I feel because he doesn't feel ready for the 12th.  We will just go and love him. :)  
Oh, we went to the Wilkersons but Roberto wasn't there.  They recently got a trampoline, so Elder Glauser and I took of our shoes and showed them how to do flips and play some old games like crack the egg, dead man dead man, and others.  When we got off, we found that their neighbors 3 month old pitbull, Israel, had stolen and hid one of my shoes!  It was funny!  Tanya and the kids were running around looking for it, since I couldn't do much in the mud and wet grass.  We found it in their neighbors yard.  Silly dogs.

Oh, I almost forgot!  We watched all but the Sunday Morning session at the stake center.  Sunday morning we went to the Wall's with the other elders in our district and the assistants.  The assistants came and picked us up.  On the way out to the truck, I found a 100 dollar bill.  Happy birthday from the ground.  We tried to see if anyone was looking around for it, but didn't find anyone.  I will probably deposit it to keep it safe and wait and see if I find anyone looking around.  Conference at the Walls was fun!  they made us brunch.  We had a Fritada, with tomatoes, broccoli, cheese, and other good stuff.  A great breakfast!  It was fun to see President Wall and Sister Wall just at home.  They are awesome.  A great example.  

After their home, we went to give a blessing to one of the Assistant's less actives.  That was an interesting experience.  They had like three cats so I kind of just kept my hands to myself.  We ended up giving two blessings.  The first to the less active lady, and the other to an investigator.  the investigator was pentecostal.  She was all like, I have the spirit and the gift of tongues.  She started to kind of babel and Elder Asuao from Samoa was like, "what did you say?" and she said she had prayed.  Interesting.  So, we left and were off to the stake center for the last session.

Well, life is great!  While I have the time I am going to continue to "run the race!"  I love you all! Thanks for everything!  Take care!

Love,
Elder Scott Turner Andrews 

ps.  The cookies were amazing!  Thank you so much!  I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment