Monday, May 6, 2013

Year 1 - Letter 48 - New Orleans, LA

3 Nephi 12:2 And again, more blessed are they who shall abelieve in your words because that ye shall testify that ye have seen me, and that ye know that I am. Yea, blessed are they who shall bbelieve in your cwords, and dcome down into the depths of humility and be baptized, for they shall be visited ewith fire and with the Holy Ghost, and shall receive a remission of their sins.

Hey Everyone!

Great week here in NOLA.  We got a lot done in this week!  First off, we went on exchanges this week, so I was here in New Orleans with Elder Herbert who is from Mexico.  He speaks only a little English, so we spoke a lot of Spanish, which was really fun and cool to see that I could communicate with him really well.  Anyways, we started the exchange off by making baliatas.  All it is is a flour tortilla, beans that are blended up, scrambled eggs, honduran cream, and queso fresco.  SO good.  One of my favorite things I have learned to make here!  

So after that we went and visited with Roberto, a less active man who is really only less active because he is old and can't get himself to church.  He really was pleased with Elder Herbert being a Hispanic.  We had a good visit and taught about faith.  We read in Alma 32 because he really likes Alma a lot.  After that, we went to Elvis, another less active, and had another awesome visit.  We learned a lot about Elvis, which helps understand where he is coming from, so that was awesome.  

We then had more baliatas for dinner, and went and visited again with Porfilio and his roommate David.  We taught about Prophets and how following the guidance of prophets, both modern and ancient, we can receive help with our trials.  It went really well. 

After that, we went to see Dagoberto, but he wasn't home.  We were getting into the car, when a man walking with his daughter greeted us.  That doesn't usually happen.  We talked with him, found out his name was Valentine (pronounced Valenteen), and he was from Mexico and two years ago had talked with missionaries but had had surgery on his foot and was on medication and didn't learn much.  I could relate with that.  After my surgery I was pretty loopy.  Anyways, we talked for awhile and he told us he lived on a street named Palmyra and told us to call him when we wanted to come.  So the next day, we decided to go contacting on Palmyra.  I know the street pretty well, and know that there are a lot of Hispanics that live on certain parts.  So we got out of the car, and walked a few homes down.  There, walking out of his home, was Valentine.  That was a sign for sure!  He told us to come back later, so we will get to that.

First, we went to Hoover's home.  He was excited to see us, and we taught a great lesson on what the Book of Mormon is.  That clarified a few things, which was awesome, and then they invited us to eat with them!  They fed us rice beans, ground beef, and yucca.  It was awesome!  I love hispanic food!  
After that we went back to Valentine's and taught him and his wife, Carmen.  We started the Restoration, using the front picture of Christ to start the lesson.  It went really well, and we found out that he can't read.  He knows letters and sounds of the letters, but that is about it.  We will get him reading in no time!

So many awesome things happening here!  So glad for the time I have had here, and know that if it is my time to go at the end of this transfer, that I have put in my all and that the area has a pretty good teaching pool.

In my studies this week, I finished the Book of Mormon in Spanish for the first time!  It was so cool to read it and get different insights because of the Spanish!  I know that each time I read the Book of Mormon, I receive revelation and learn so much!  The great thing is, is that that will never stop!  I read in 1 Nephi 2 today and put myself in the shoes of Sam.  How would I feel if my little brother, Peter, was called to be a prophet and a leader?  How would I react to that?  I hope that I would be like Sam, and also like Hyrum Smith!  Not like Laman and Lemuel, who would not listen.  I then thought that in a way, Elder Jones is like my little brother. Do I listen to him?  It was a very beneficial study.

Well, that is pretty much it for now folks!  Thanks for the continued support!  Love you all!

Love,
Elder Scott Turner Andrews

No comments:

Post a Comment