Monday, August 19, 2013

Year 2 - Letter 12 - Baton Rouge, LA

Alma 36:27 And I have been supported under trials and troubles of every kind, yea, and in all manner of afflictions; yea, God has delivered me from prison, and from bonds, and from death; yea, and I do put my trust in him, and he will still deliver me.

Hey Everyone!

So, this week has been a week for the books.  
1.) I passed a kidney stone.  That was nuts.  During the week I had had a bit of pain in my lower right stomach, and didn't really know why.  Then, Thursday night, I didn't sleep at all, and spent most of the night in the bathroom.  Friday morning I waited for Elder Drollinger to wake up and then we called Sister Wall.  She then told me to go to an urgent care.  So we were picked up by Elder O'donnell and Elder Page at 9AM, and we all went to the closest urgent care, and it didn't open until 3PM.  The next one didn't open noon.  The third one didn't exist.  We couldn't find it.  So, we called sister Wall and she gave us another one that was open.  So we waited in there for awhile, and there was this crazy show on TV called "Dog the Bounty Hunter" and there was an episode that had a bunch of Mormon references in it, and even had footage of missionaries biking on the road.  We got a lot of funny looks from the others in the waiting room.  It was quite funny. 
Then, I finally went in, and they took my height and weight.  I am officially 5'7" and 156 lbs.  After that, they took a urine sample and it came up that I had a lot of blood in my urine, and high glucose, which I figured was because there was blood in my urine.  The Urgent Care doc came in, and she was this huge black lady.  She came in freaking out.  The words out of her mouth were "Your blood sugar is over 1000, you have a ton of blood in your urine, you need to go to the ER right now or you are going to die!"  I told her my blood sugar was not over one thousand, I had checked earlier and I was only in the low 200's.  I knew that if there was blood in my urine, that was probably why it would look like my blood sugar was over 1000 from a urine sample.  she finally tested my blood sugar and I was 198.  That calmed her down a bit, and she told me to go get a cat scan to see if I had kidney stones.  So called Sister Wall to see if that was good, and she told us to go and get something to eat and then go to the ER, because we would be there for a while.  The guys got some food (I wasn't too hungry)  and we went to the ER at Lady of the Lake hospital.  We got there and checked in, and it was a super fancy hospital.  My room was this cool room with one glass wall that looked out to the nurses' station and had a curtain.  Pretty modern looking.  Anyways, a nurse came in and gave me a shot that was an anti inflammatory and helped with the pain.  Then I waited for the CT scan for a long time and had a good time visiting with the Elders and nurses.  Then I had the CT scan and waited for results.  They said that I had a kidney stone that was pretty much through the worst of it, and gave me a strainer and sample cup to catch it when it came out.  We left the hospital at 7:30PM.
2.)After the hospital, we went to Elder Drollinger's Birthday party!  It was his Birthday through all of this.  We went to a Mexican grill where some Mariachis play that we know really well, and Sister Burns, who played on a mariachi band for several years, played a song with them.  It was fun, and really good food.  It was a place called Zapatas. 
3.) We had a good lesson with Bany and David.  We watched the Testaments (thanks mom and dad for that!) and they really were touched by it.  Bany had a really hard week and gave in to drinking the day before.  We are planning on going over and talking to him more and help him know we all make mistakes, but we can repent and be forgiven though the atonement of Jesus Christ.
4.) I got a package from home!  Thank you so much for that Mom, Dad, Sadie, and Peter!  That was so kind of all of you!  They sent me a vegetable steamer and we have had a blast steaming our vegetables!  the cookies are great too!

That is more or less what happened this week.  We will be meeting with a less active this week to help him stop smoking.   That will be interesting.

This week has really helped me understand that Christ knows what we are going through.  He will give us help!  I love you all!  Thanks for all the support!

Love,
Elder Scott Turner Andrews 

No comments:

Post a Comment