Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Year 2 - Letter 22 - Baton Rouge, LA

Ether 12:27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

Hey Everyone!

So, transfers are here again... I am staying here in the land of milk and honey with out price, aka south Baton Rouge Spanish.  Elder Drollinger is going to leave though.  That is sad.  He is an awesome missionary.  It has been an awesome opportunity to watch him grow.  He he will do loads for the kingdom of God wherever he goes.  Other news is that I'm our districts next District leader.  I know that I will be fine, and that the Lord qualifies he whom He calls.  Oh, and I might be finishing someones training.  President Wall doesn't know for sure yet, so we shall see.

Well, this week was crazy!  It all started out with carving pumpkins as a district.  That was sweet. Me and Elder Drollinger carved a dragon.  It was awesome!  In the picture is our temporary district.  Right to left is Sister Ogden, who is the remaining sister from LSU, because her companion went back to Temple Square.  Next is Sister Burns, who is staying in the district this transfer.  Next is Sister Judd, who came the same time as Elder Drollinger, but is a visa waiter, who is now in Argentina.  Next is Elder O'Donnell, our district leader, he is going to be a zone leader, but we don't know where.  Next is Elder McCutcheon, who has been out a transfer longer than Elder Drollinger, and is going to train this transfer.  All the hispanics can't say his name, and so they call him Elder Mapache, which means raccoon.  Then its Elder Drollinger and me.  We had a blast.  Oh, and thanks for the knit tie Sadie!  I love it!  I have it on in that pic.

Well, after that, we had a good lesson with David about tithing and fasting.  His dad has to get his visa renewed otherwise they have to leave, so we offered that we could fast for help.  We did and his dad has a court date, so that should be good.  They are a hard working, functional family, so they should be fine.  

This week we went on exchanges with the Zone Leaders!  That was fun!  I went to LSU with Elder Howard.  The first night, we went to the Temple, and helped out with baptisms for the YSA ward.  Then we went straight to a former investigators home.  His name is Kevin Marshall.  That lesson changed my life.  We talked with him to get to know him.  He is getting ready to leave the National Guard here in a few months.  He did a ten month tour in afghanistan.  He said that was crazy.  He then talked about how before he had visited with the missionaries, and how he had been searching for truth.  We read with him in Moroni 10:3-5 and shared with him that what we have to share is the truth, and that he could know for himself.  We then asked him if he would be baptized when he knew that it was true, and he said that he would.  Such a powerful lesson.  The spirit was so strong, and everything just felt right.  Exchange miracles.  They happen.

The next day we went to help Elder Brockbank and Elder Sergeant go get a new tire because they had a flat. Elder Brockbank has diabetes as well, and we have served around each other quite a bit and so it is always fun to talk about diabetes, because we understand each other.  We had fun joking with Elder Howard and Elder Sergeant that we weren't the minority anymore, since there were two of us with and two of us without diabetes.  

We all went to dollar lunch (which is exactly what it sounds like) at the institute building. Brother Bonham, who is also the high counselor for the Spanish Branch and speaks Spanish,  is the institute teacher.  He is awesome.  It was good to see him.  We had breakfast for lunch.

Well, when we finished the exchange, we went to Lauriano's home.  He lives with Blas. Anyways, we had an awesome lesson with him.  We read in Alma 32 about faith, and committed him to be baptized on the 23rd.  It was sweet.  Awesome spirit there.

In my studies this morning, I studied about how the Lord uses us, as imperfect as we are, so bring about miracles.  I know that as I do all I can to keep the work moving forward, the Lord will make up for what I lack.  I love you all!  Thanks for everything!

Love,
Elder Scott Turner Andrews 




  

No comments:

Post a Comment