Monday, November 25, 2013

Year 2 - Letter 26 - Baton Rouge, LA

2 Ne 4:35 Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen.

Hey everyone!

We had a really good week this week!  We doubled our lessons from last week, so that was nice. Our goal is to do it again!  I just prayed that we would receive help this week, and that we would find more people to teach.  The miracle is, is that it wasn't like we were biking on the street and God just put someone in front of us with a large neon sign that said TEACH ME!  It came from the people that we have been teaching for awhile.

One of these sweet miracles was Blas.  Blas has always liked to talk to us.  This week we had three lessons with him.  
1. We taught Blas "the pole" lesson using Proverbs 3:5-6.  It went really well.  He got it right of the bat.  At the end of the lesson, I had the prompting to ask him if he wanted to go on a chapel tour.  We had talked about doing one a long time ago when I was with Elder Drollinger, but the spirit brought it up again and so I offered and he said that he would love to do that, and so we planned to have a tour the next day
2. Next day, we went to the chapel, and had a really sweet experience.  There is no feeling like there is in the chapel.  During the tour, we showed him the primary room, relief society room, cultural hall, family history room, the font and last but not least the chapel.  During the tour we showed him the three part mormon message called Patterns of Light by Elder Bednar.  It was sweet, and I think really applicable to him.  
3. We taught him a few days later about the Book of Mormon and he brought up some concerns. He rambled a little, and that is really hard for me sometimes, because I get distracted and then don't really listen, but I have really seen that if we listen, we will better be able to help them.  So in his rambling, he talked about how he believed there were only two churches.  WE explained that the Book of Mormon talked a lot about that, and gave him an assignment to read in 1 Nephi 13-14.  He said he would read, which he never really has done before, so that was pretty sweet. Can't wait to follow up.

Well, another sweet thing happened this week.  The sisters (Sister Marks, who was in my MTC district, and Sister Burns, whom I have served along with since I got here) have been teaching Tanya, the niece of the Wilkersons, whom I know pretty well.  Anyways, Brother Wilkerson has ptsd from his time in Iraq, and so had been struggling lately, so we went with the sisters just to help if we could.  Turns out Brother Wilkerson had gone somewhere else, and so we talked with Tanya, and she asked me if I would baptize her.  I was kind of surprised.  Anyways, the baptism is this week.  That will be sweet.

We also saw Lauriano, who we taught about attending church, but his work schedule is kind of crazy, and he wasn't able to come.  That was kind of sad, but I know that if he will just do what he can to come to church, he will receive the help he needs to come.  Even though he wasn't able to go to church, he is doing well.  He still really likes what is being taught.

We saw David this week!  It had been over a week since our last lesson.  He is kind of addicted to video games. It is so strange to see how in a way I was like that.  With technology as advanced as it is, we can not let it get in the way of our spiritual progression.  Among the ordinances necessary to return to the kingdom of God, there is not a requirement to have beat a video game.  We will do what we can to help him.  What he really needs is a good friend.

Saturday was awesome!  We got fed four times!  That is definitely a record.  That is pretty much how it has been my entire mission.  When I get fed, it is all in one week, and then I go for like a month, and then it happens again.  Anyways, we went on saturday with president Estrada to do service at a house on the other side of LSU.  We made the mistake of going through LSU, which was getting ready for the LSU vs Texas A&M game.  It was crazy.  Seas of tents and cars!  It was a sight to see!   After an hour, we made it to the ladies home.  It was crazy old.  It was a mess as well.  The crazy thing is is that they said that they had made a ton of progress cleaning.  I don't really want to know what it looked like before.  Anyways, we were there with Presidente Estrada and Eric Ramos, a recently returning member who is an electrician.  We helped them figure out some wiring issues, and were only able to fix a little bit with the time we had.  After, presidente took us to Jack in the Box, which is back after they had a bunch of people die from food poisoning from their taco meat.  

After that, we went to Hafiz's home, because we had planned to go to futbol, but it was too cold and rainy and so he fed us instead.  He is from Nigeria and fed us chicken and rice with some good sauce.  

Then we went to Hermano Silva's home and he fed us as well.  Chicken and rice hispanic style with tortillas.  It was all good.

Then we went and taught Lauriano and Blas was there as well and fed us chips and milk and then left. 

Well, Sunday was Hafiz's mom's birthday, and so as we were coming in for the night, they gave us more food and cake.  They are super nice.  

Well, that is pretty much the week!  Life is great!  We are keeping busy, which is such a good thing!  I love you all!

Love,
Elder Scott Turner Andrews 

Oh!  One other crazy thing!  I got this email!  It is from Maruf, the guy that was baptized in December that I found in the Referral center!  I sent him an email last week.
Hi Elder Andrews, what I surprise buddy. How are you? I do remember you very well. How long left from ur mission? I have called by the bishop  as a word missionary as he think I am already working as a missionary! Lol. Coz I have invited some of my class mates other day to the church and they are having their lessons more often. How ever I wish to talk to you. Anytime people wants to hear my testimony I have to mention ur name. U guys did such a great job to introduce me to the church and help me out at the beginning. Maruf

Yep, well, living the dream!  Love yall!
Elder Scott Turner Andrews 

No comments:

Post a Comment