Monday, July 1, 2013

Year 2 - Letter 5 - Baton Rouge, LA

1 Ne 2:20 And inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper, and shall be led to a land of promise; yea, even a land which I have prepared for you; yea, a land which is choice above all other lands.

Hey everyone!

I guess the first thing that I should tell yall is where I ended up after transfers!  I am currently serving in the Baton Rouge zone, south Baton Rouge Spanish area, which is on bikes. My companion is Elder Thomas, who was Elder Gillett's MTC companion, and trained Elder Larsen.  Small world!   It has been awesome so far!  I got everything to the apartment, and am doing well!  So far, I love Baton Rouge!  It is a lot more like home.  It isn't like we are out in the boonies or anything, there are plenty of stores around.   It is all just nice and spread out.  I really like the scripture I put in the title and really feel like it applies to me here.  I think I have come to "a land which {God has} prepared for {me}".  I have really been able to relate to the people I have met.  The first people I met were brother and sister Wilkerson.  Brother Wilkerson is a type one diabetic.  He was diagnosed about a year or two ago.  It was really cool to relate to him.  Sister Wilkerson is really cool too.  She came to church yesterday!  Brother Wilkerson didn't make it though.

Next really cool thing was meeting Bany (pronounced bah-knee).  Bany is honduran.  He is super chill and had some great questions about the sacrament that Elder Thomas answered quite effectively.  He still had some doubts though.  Next lesson, we talked a bit about baptism, and the Holy Ghost.  It was really cool.  The most awesome experience I have ever had with the gift of discernment.  I all of the sudden had this thought that he did not understand the difference between the influence of the Holy Ghost, and the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  I taught the difference by taking apart Elder Thomas' pen and saying that the influence of the Holy Ghost is like this ink cartridge.  I then touched the ink cartridge to the pen casing.  I told him that the spirit can "touch" us and influence us but will not always be with us.  I then put the cartridge in the pen, and told him that when we get the gift of the Holy Ghost, we can have the Holy Ghost as a constant companion.  He said that that answered the doubt he had.  It was really cool to see the spirit work through me to help someone else.  

Saturday was really cool.  It was when we had this awesome lesson with Bany and in the morning we had Bishop's storehouse service.  Every other week, there is a bishop's storehouse in one of the chapel.  They set up a lot of tables in a square with tables only on three sides of the square.  Then a huge truck comes with a lot of food.  We organize the food on the tables, and then take shopping carts around and fill out orders.  It was pretty cool!  it is awesome to see that the church is so organized and everything worked perfectly.  I had no idea that the church did anything like that!

Well, that is pretty much it!  I love it here in the "red stick"  (Baton Rouge in English).
my address is
8911 GSRI Ave. #1343
Baton Rouge, LA 70810

I love you all!  Thanks for everything!  Keep on doing the basics!  

Love,
Elder Scott Turner Andrews

No comments:

Post a Comment