Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Year 2 - Letter 41 - Baton Rouge, LA

D&C 5:34

Well Everybody, I'm still in Baton Rouge!

So I always like to start my emails off with a scripture as the topic.  So I was looking and found Doctrine and Covenants 5:34.
34 Yea, for this cause I have said: Stop, and stand still until I command thee, and I will provide means whereby thou mayest accomplish the thing which I have commanded thee.
I know that the Lord has commanded me to "stop" here in Baton Rouge and that I have a work to accomplish.  I know that the Lord will provide a means for me to accomplish what I must here in Baton Rouge.

Well, me staying is rather weird.  I only have one transfer after this, so it is unlikely that I will move to another area.  Truly a blessing in my eyes. :)   I have come to really love the people in the two areas in which I have served.  Here in Baton Rouge and back in New Orleans. 
Elder Glauser and I went to the transfer meeting, since we do live like 5 minutes away.  We were able to sign Sister Toleafoa's journal.  She went home from our district.  We also picked up commissary, and got to see who came into our district.  The coolest thought I had during the meeting was this: The opportunity to say goodbye is not the opportunity to say hello, but it is the opportunity to say hello to more people.  Changes in areas and going home is the end of service in a certain area, but it is also a new beginning!  A new start!  I thought that was cool.

Well, Thee Spanish district of Baton Rouge has pretty much stayed the same except for a couple of changes.  One of those changes, that I am sure Uncle Scott and Aunt Abby will love to hear is that Hermana Mishko is companions with and being trained by Hermana Astle and Hermana Carolin.  Hermana Carolin is in there for support until she goes home in a few weeks.  It was pretty crazy to find out that Hermana Mishko was in Uncle Scott and Aunt Abby's YSA.  It has been pretty fun to talk about Mesa relate about Mesa stuff like Neds, Barro's, what happened with Tia Rosas, etc.  Elder Mastache also left from the East and so he was replaced by Elder Howald. Elder Howald served in Metairie for four transfers and is now "second-hand" training Elder Peltzer.  He will do really well.  

OK, best thing that probably happened this week was that David committed to a date!  April 12th!  I know that he will be ready then!  He is awesome!  We went over the baptismal questions and he pretty much has everything.  Just a few little things left to help him with.  I am glad to have been able to see David progress this entire time.

Thursday was THEE day of flats.  It started after we had finished our weekly planning session. Elder Glauser went to top off his tires and as he took the nozzle off of the valve, we just heard a hiss.  He tore the valve at the neck.  Flat number one.  So we called the Zone Leaders who were nice enough to give us a ride to the bike shop to buy a new tube.  We take the tube back home, get it on the rim, and pump it up, and as we try to pull the nozzle off again, it ripped the entire valve stem off of the tire.  Flat two.  So we called Elder English, because we didn't want to hassle the Zone Leaders too much, and took the rim, the tire, and the pump to the bike shop to figure this out.  They said the pump looked fine, and they filed down the hole on the rim to make sure it wasn't cutting anything.  They took the old tube and gave us a new tube for free, and we left.  So, we are back at home, say goodbye to Elder English, and we got the tire all situated, started to inflate it, and it EXPLODED.  It was SO loud!  Elder Glauser was like, "I'M DEAF!" and I was like "I'M NOT DEAF! ARE YOU?"  Then we just busted up laughing.  Flat three.  We then called Hafiz, our pal next door and he gave us a ride to Walmart, where we bought new two tubes.  Just in case something else happened.  Crazy day.  That is pretty much all we did Thursday.  Buy tubes.

We gave some service again at Here Today, Gone Tomorrow.  We helped a Hispanic lady to sort shoes.  She was thrilled that we could speak Spanish with her.  All of the other ladies at the store are English speakers, so I was glad to be able to talk with her.  

Well, that pretty much sums up the week!  Life is great!  Crazy to think that you are home Hill! You will do great at home!  I love y'all lots!

Love,

Elder Scott Turner Andrews 

No comments:

Post a Comment