Monday, March 3, 2014

Year 2 - Letter 40 - Baton Rouge, LA

D&C 112:21 And again, I say unto you, that whosoever ye shall send in my name, by the voice of your brethren, the Twelve, duly recommended and authorized by you, shall have power to open the door of my kingdom unto any nation whithersoever ye shall send them—

Hey Everyone!

So, although this is transfer week, we get to email Monday because everything closes for Mardi Gras.  The state is pretty much closed for a party.  Alright.  So, TRANSFERS!!!  We don't know that is going to happen yet.  It really is kind of a toss up.  I have been here for a really long time, which points to the fact that I could be leaving soon.  However, I am training Elder Glauser, but that doesn't mean for sure that I won't be moved.  I really don't know what is going to happen, but I do know that all is in the hands of the Lord.  If I go, I go to find those who are in need of me my last two transfers, if I stay, they I haven't found everyone that I need to yet.  I know that this work is the Lords.  I know that he will not give me anything that is not possible.  He will always provide a way to accomplish what He has asked me.  

Well, this was a sweet week!  We went on exchanges with the Zone Leaders.  I was with Elder Knowlton.  We had a good exchange.  We went to see Chito to pass him on, and had a great lesson where we read in Alma 7.  Alma 7 is definitely one of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon.  It clearly testifies of Christ and His mission, and what we can do to more fully follow him.  We committed Chito to be baptized, but he said he would have to stop smoking first.  He knows that it is bad to smoke, but he has been doing it for something like 40 years.  I know he can do it though.
  
Elder Knowlton and I also went to see Blas whom we haven't seen in a really long time.  Blas is doing well.  He needed help with translating some papers, so we did that.  We also went to the thrift store, Here Today, Gone Tomorrow and did some service.  They had us push a huge pile of bags to the back of this big shed.  It was crazy!  We had to climb up on top and throw them back. I'll send some pics.

After that we switched back.
We had a sweet lesson with the one complete family in our branch, the Harro family.  They are awesome!  We had a sweet discussion about Elder Eyring's talk O Remember, Remember.  It talks about journal writing.  It was cool to talk to all of them about how journal writing blesses each and every one of us, as well as our future posterity.  I was able to share with them about what I had heard from Dad from forever ago about great grandpa Turner, and how he had been able to read his journals from his mission, and how from that, I know that Louisiana was a part of his mission when he served in 1920.  They thought that was pretty cool.  We committed them to keep up on their journal writing and that it would be a great blessing for them and their family.

Another sweet lesson we had was with David and his dad, Mario, and Wendy, a less active who is engaged to Mario.  They fed us Baliatas on a plate, so basically that is eggs, beans, honduran cream, and in this case sausage.  You just put all of that in a homemade flour tortilla and it is pretty much the best thing ever.  Except for your Chicken Enchiladas mom :).  We showed them the video Voice of the Spirit and talked about what they could do in order to have the spirit more abundantly in their lives.  David said he would be baptized.  Good answer.  Wendy said she would do more to come to church regularly and read the scriptures.  Mario said he would be better.  One way we suggested to him that he could be better was to pray with Wendy morning and night.  We promised them if they did that, they would receive help from the spirit.  There was a really sweet spirit in the room as we talked.  It was a sweet lesson.

We had another lesson with David where we went over the baptismal questions.  He has a few things that he needs to handle before he can be baptized, but I know that through the Atonement of Christ, he can change and be prepared for baptism.

Another really cool thing was that we got to see Peter again!  He is this guy that lives in our complex from Belize.  The cooler thing, is that we saw him twice.  Twice!  I have never had a companion that has seen Peter more than once!  We were walking away from the complex and I had a feeling that we needed to turn around.  So we did, and then I was like, OK, now what.  I then felt like we should call Peter.  So, we did, and he had time!  So we went and talked with him a bit about faith.  He has great faith!  He said he was going to read and pray.  So the second time we visited him, we went and talked about the Doctrine of Christ, and how he could be clean.  He said that is exactly what he wants.  So cool to see miracles like that!  well, life is great!  

It will be interesting to see what happens with transfers.  We have Sister Toleafoa going home, so we will get another sister in the district.  Interesting to see who.  Well, Hillary will be home soon! Crazy! Go get'em Hill!

Love,
Elder Scott Turner Andrews



No comments:

Post a Comment