Monday, March 24, 2014

Year 2 - Letter 43 - Baton Rouge, LA

Doctrine and Covenants 121:19, 21-22


Hey everyone!
Well, this week sure has been interesting!  We had a good district meeting about Doctrine and Covenants 121:19;21-22.  I LOVE when the Lord gives us to do lists.  Here he gives us an amazing promise.  In verses 19  and 21 it says,  
"Wherefore, whithersoever they shall send you, go ye, and I will be with you; and in whatsoever place ye shall proclaim my name an effectual door shall be opened unto you, that they may receive my word.
" And again, I say unto you, that whosoever ye shall send in my name, by the voice of your brethren, the Twelve, duly recommended and authorized by you, shall have power to open the door of my kingdom unto any nation whithersoever ye shall send them "
Then in verse 22 it tells us what we have to do. 
" Inasmuch as they shall humble themselves before me, and abide in my word, and hearken to the voice of my Spirit."
We broke down what being humble meant by reading in Preach My Gospel.  This link goes to the Christlike attributes section of Preach My Gospel.  Just scroll down to Humility.  We then talked about abiding in His word and what that meant.  We went to the story of the sons of Mosiah and their description in Alma 17:2-3.  That brought in hearkening to the voice of the Spirit.  We then went and read several parts of chapter 4 of Preach My Gospel.  After that, we went and studied four talks that I had read earlier that week.     Finishers wanted.  By President Thomas S. Monson, That They May Be One In Us by D. Todd Christofferson, He Hath Filled the Hungry with Good Things, and Obedience, Consecration, and Sacrifice by Bruce R. McConkie.  Sweet talks.  I think you will find the common theme.  It is all about "What lack I yet?"  The question of the young ruler.  I thought of it when I saw the new Bible Video.  The question "What lack I yet?" is one that I think we can all gain a lot from.
After that, I went on exchanges with Elder Peltzer from outside of Modesto California.  That is like two hours south of Sacramento.  We had an awesome lesson with David where we talked a lot about Elder Scott's talk from last General Conference, Personal Strength through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  One interesting thing is that if you go to the talks by Elder Scott and listen to them in Spanish and Portuguese they are in his own voice, since he speaks Spanish and Portuguese.  Not sure about the other Apostles and General Authorities.  That was pretty cool!  We also were walking on Jasper street and I saw someone that I had talked to before, Wilmer, but I got the impression to wait to talk to him.  I was kind of like, what?  That was weird.  So we went on, took a turn to the left, and took another turn to the left to Jade.  On, Jade, we saw Wilmer!  Again!  That was crazy!  He had cut through some apartments that we don't cut through.  So we talked to him and he told us when we could come by later.  That was pretty cool!  We also saw Touche.  He was this English speaking guy we talked with awhile ago.  He was doing good.  
Elder Glauser and I also saw David again.  We talked about baptism and concerns he had.  The spirit was so strong!  I had been asked to give a talk at the baptism on baptism so I ended up just sharing with David several scriptures about baptism.  1 Nephi 31:4-7, Mosiah 18:8-11, 3 Nephi 11:18-28 in order to answer a concern about how we baptized, and Moroni 4 to talk about how after baptism, when we make mistakes, we can still repent and renew our baptismal covenants during the sacrament.  It was a sweet lesson.  We went back on Saturday as well just to give him some smaller white shirts we had found and a tie each from Elder Glauser and I.  That was fun and he really liked it.
Claudia, one of the investigators of the sisters had a scheduled baptism on Saturday ended up falling through on Friday.  The sisters were really sad about that so they asked if I would give them all blessings.  That was a really cool experience.  The spirit was really strong until the last blessing our phone went off like five times and our ringtone is a cat meowing.  It was funny and really lifted everyone's spirits a bit I think.  Maybe that is what needed to happen.  It was just way cool to be a part of that.
Saturday we had a picnic that was so fun!  We played soccer and everyone said that I was really good.  Probably because we play every Saturday as a finding activity and I have done that now for nine months!
Well, cool week!  Life is great here down in the south!  
Love,
Elder Scott Turner Andrews   

No comments:

Post a Comment